Tuesday, June 26, 2012

It's An Invasion!

One of my "commissioned" jobs was to do invitations for my "nephew's" 4th birthday party.  Mom allowed them to pick their own themes for their birthdays this year.  His sister's was the tea party back in May, and for his party he wanted an "Alien Invasion" party.  Being on another time crunch to get the invites done, I managed to get them all done in the wee hours of the night last night.  I used my new Cameo on them and they were so easy!



The card bases were from JoAnn's.  I believe they were the "Brights" collection.  I grabbed them a few months back figuring I was going to need them for his party and they came in real handy in making these an easily mass-produced card.

The background paper came from SunshineLemons' Etsy store in their "Space Invaders" paper pack.  LOVED all the papers, but unfortunately only was able to use one.  The font is "SpaceOut" from dafont.com and I used the tools in the Silhouette Design Studio software to color it in.

The alien in the UFO, the "Earth" looking planet, and the moon all came from the Silhouette Online Store .  I LOVE having the subscription as I don't feel too guilty about downloading images that I may never use again.  Lol.  The UFO alien was actually layered, but in order to save some time, I filled in all the pieces and then layered them in the software, grouped them all together, and then just print and cut the outline.  I popped him up on three-dimensional tape onto the background, and VOILA!  I really wish I would have had some action wobbles for these as that would have just made it even cuter, but sometimes you have to make do with what you have.

The ONLY problem I have with doing 90% printed cards on my Cameo is the amount of ink I go thru.  Lol!  Hubby ran out and got me new cartridges when I got my machine so I would have plenty to play around with.  This project killed about 75% of those cartridges.

The party is next weekend, so I can't wait to see how it all comes together.  We're going to be doing a "make your own alien mask" craft station at the party and I'll be doing all the cutting and stuff for that.  I'm planning on sharing, if not doing a video, on all those goodies too.  Found a VERY creative website with some fabulous ideas.

Well it's back to my "sweat shop" to work on a few other projects.  Be on the lookout for a video either later tonight or tomorrow :-)  G'Nite scrappy-land!

6 comments:

  1. Oh gosh Jessica that is so cute!! You are really getting to know your cameo young lady, I am so excited for you. How many invites do you have to make? Anyway, they look great and I am sure the kids receiving them are going to think they are so fun looking.

    Have fun and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!

      I had to do 30 invites, but the hardest part was figuring out what I wanted to do. Once I figured it out, the rest was easy. I'm not finally starting to learn how to use not only the machine, but the crazy awesome software that goes with it.

      I do feel guilty though... Like I'm "cheating" on my two Cricuts :-(

      Delete
  2. He's going to love those invites Jessica, so will the kids getting them. so cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Mom liked them, so that's a good thing!

      Delete
  3. Ca-ute! I have this cart and never use it. This is such a fun card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie! I had a lot of fun doing these too :-)

      Delete